Air transport, Polimi: ’60-100 billion total investments are needed by 2050′

“Among the fundamental points of our study, the first is to qualify correctly the aviation sector in terms of emissions: we are talking about 2% worldwide. We specify that it is a sector that, if we look in terms of CO2 emissions per kilometer and per passenger, is comparable with that of our traditional diesel or petrol vehicles. It is clear that the numbers are still important and action can be taken on this sector, which has so far done relatively little. The results obtained so far in terms of efficiency have indeed reduced the per capita emissions but not enough compared to the objectives. If we carry this data forward until 2050, with the current emission reduction trend we reach a 24% cut at that date. Since the goal is a 100% cut, there is still a big gap“He said it Davide Chiaroniprofessor of the Politecnico di Milano in presenting today the university research on the sustainability of air transport during the first annual congress “Pact for the decarbonization of air transport”, currently being held at Fiumicino airport.



“How can that gap be bridged? It is done with a significant change in the mode of fuels,” continues Chiaroni. “The fuel system accounts for about 90% of emissions, the other 10% is linked to infrastructures. Of that 90% a large part must be covered by Saf, that is sustainable fuels, both those of biological origin, therefore biofuels, and those of synthetic origin, such as e-fuels. It is the fuels from non-fossil sources that would lead to a further reduction of around 60%. The missing piece is hydrogen. It is a little further to come from the point of view of the possibility of current use, but it has a potential “.

“Compared to the times”, continues the Polimi professor, “what we do today we will begin to see in 2030-2031. Investments will therefore have a relapse in that period. For this reason, the more we delay the investments, we move the our goal of 2050. Between public and private, the amount of investments up to 2050 should be between 60 and 100 billion overall for the entire supply chainfrom propulsion systems, to fuels, to logistics and infrastructures “.



Source-www.adnkronos.com