The May 18th opens the third day of the 76th edition of the Cannes Film Festival (THE SPECIAL), which until 27 May will bring together the best of world cinema on the Croisette. While waiting for the Palme d’Or to be awarded by the jury presided over by Swedish director Ruben Östlund, here are the unmissable films that will enchant audiences on the big screen today.
- Blackflies Of Jean-Stephane Sauvaire: the film, which is based on the novel of the same name by Shannon Burke and which may remind Bringing out the dead by Martin Scorsese, tells the heroism and meanness of two paramedics aboard an ambulance in the streets of New York. Suspended every hour between life and death, young Ollie Cross (played by Tye Sheridan) and veteran Gene Rutkovsky (played by Sean Penn) go through the night of the metropolis. The cast also includes Katherine Waterston and Michael Pitt
- Youth (Spring) Of Wang Bing: the Chinese director narrates the lives of hundreds of young workers, coming from the rural areas crossed by the Yangtze River, which every year flow into the city of Zhili, the heart of Chinese textile production 150 kilometers from Shanghai, in search of the future, albeit in barrack conditions, with precarious wages and no guarantees . The great documentary maker observes the loves, friendships, dreams and disappointments of the protagonists
OUT OF COMPETITION
- Indiana Jones and the Quadrant of Destiny by James Mangold: the film will debut on the Croisette in world premiere. In the 1960s, against the backdrop of the space race between the United States and the Soviet Union, Harrison Ford once again wore the role of the legendary archaeologist hero. The soundtrack by John Williams, composer of the music of the saga since the first episode, also returns Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), while executive producers are Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. The cast hosts, among others, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Mads Mikkelsen and Antonio Banderas
A CERTAIN REGARD
- The nature of love by Monia Chokri: for over 10 years, philosophy professor Sofia has had a stable but suffocating relationship with her partner Xavier. When the couple buy a chalet and start renovating it, the woman meets the handsome and jovial carpenter Sylvain, with whom she indulges in overwhelming passion. Opposites attract, but until when?
- The Delinquents Of Rodrigo Moreno: the Argentinian director takes a look at the routine life of two modest bank employees Román and Morán, interrupted however by the concoction of a plan: to break into the vault and steal a small fortune. Since then the two share a common fate, in a dead-end escape towards there freedom and the dream
- Rosalie Of Stephanie Di Giusto: In 1870s France, a young woman is hiding a secret. Since birth she has had her face and body covered in hair, but she never wanted to become a freak like bearded woman, rather hidden by people’s curiosity. One day, however, Rosalie marries Abel, owner of a bar full of debts and unaware of the secret of his wife married not for love, but for her dowry. Will he be able to love her when he learns the truth about her?
- Lost in the night Of Amat Escalante: the Mexican filmmaker proposes a film of denunciation. The young Emiliano infiltrates the rich and powerful Aldama family to find out who is responsible for the disappearance of the motherwho fought for the rights of poor people against an international mining company