Actor Daniel Radcliffe, famous for his portrayal of the boy wizard Harry Potter, has joined the production team of the upcoming HBO original documentary entitled David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived (translatable as David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived). In addition to being the executive producer, the star will also be one of the interview subjects in the film. The work wants to tell the story of David Holmes, the stuntman who was tragically paralyzed due to an accident on the set of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1. Holmes has worked closely with Radcliffe as his stunt double since the first film in the film saga, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone of 2001.
David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived will be released next November, telling the life of Daniel Radcliffe’s stunt double in the world of Harry Potter. The stuntman suffered a serious spinal cord injury performing a dangerous scene and was left paralyzed from the waist down.
“The film is the coming-of-age story of stunt double David Holmes, a prodigious teenage gymnast from Essex, England, who was chosen as Daniel Radcliffe’s stunt double in the first film Harry Potter, when Daniel was just 11 years old. Over the next 10 years, the two formed an unbreakable bond, but in the penultimate film, a tragic accident on set left David paralyzed with a severe spinal cord injury, turning his life upside down. As Daniel and his closest colleagues in the stunt world rally to support David and his family in their time of need, it is David’s extraordinary spirit of resilience that becomes their greatest source of strength and inspiration,” explains HBO in a official press release in which he presents the synopsis of the documentary.
There is a lot of previously unreleased material in the documentary
The documentary includes “never-seen personal material filmed over the last decade, behind-the-scenes scenes from Holmes’ work as a stuntman, moments from his current life, and intimate interviews with David, Daniel Radcliffe, friends, family and former crew members,” he says. in an official HBO note. “The film also reflects universal themes related to life with adversity, growth, building identity in an uncertain world, and the bonds that unite and sustain us.”
Dan Hartley is the director of the documentary
David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived is directed by Dan Hartley, the director of Lad: A Yorkshire Story. The film is the latest collaboration between Radcliffe and Holmes following their work together on the films of Harry Potter.
During the pandemic, in 2020, the two worked together to launch the podcast entitled “Cunning Stunts”, a work whose goal is to offer more light on Hollywood stuntmen, who are the true soul of the film industry but often they are not recognized as they should be.
“I think there’s a myth around stuntmen, like they’re somehow superhuman,” Radcliffe said at the time, speaking about the podcast. “When audiences see something really painful or horrible, they think it’s a visual effect or that there’s a clever, safe way to do it. Often that’s not the case. There’s no way to pretend, for example, that you’re falling down down the stairs. When you get hit by a car, they’re hitting you, even if it’s going slower than it could. They find the safest way to do it, but it can still hurt,” Daniel Radcliffe added.
The production of the documentary
The film is an HBO Documentary Films production in collaboration with Sky and Lightbox/Ripple. The producers are Simon Chinn, Jonathan Chinn, Vanessa Davies and Amy Stares. Radcliffe is co-executive producer along with Holmes, Hartley, Sue Latimer, Sarah Spahovic. HBO’s executive producers are Nancy Abraham, Lisa Heller and Tina Nguyen. Sky’s executive producer is Poppy Dixon.
David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived will debut on Wednesday, November 15, available for streaming on Max.