Leverton & Sons, of London, has been in the service of the Crown since 1991, for Scotland it availed itself of the collaboration of William Perves
A real relay, sharing the responsibilities in the path of the coffin of the Queen Elizabeth, from Balmoral to Edinburgh and all the way to London. There are two historic funeral homes that are carrying out their service for the royal funeral to be held next Monday. The ‘funeral directors’ are appointed by the ‘Lord Chamberlain’s Office’ and, since 1991, is the Leverton & Sons, a company founded in London in the district of Camden in 1789, the supplier of the Royal family. For the Scottish part of the service, on this occasion, they relied on a sort of ‘subcontract’ to another company, William Perves.
During the Scottish journey, two heated controversies bounced around the British media. The choice of the car that brought the coffin, a Mercedes in defiance of the British automotive tradition that would have suggested the use of a Bentley or a Rolls Royce, and the indelicate choice of leaving the advertising signs on the car.
Both companies have distant roots. Leverton & Sons was founded in St Pancras in 1763 by Devonshire carpenter John Leverton. In 1888, the company moved to Eversholt Street in Camden, North London, where it still has its headquarters. He works in the service of the British monarchy in a position based on trust. In 2007, the director of the company, Clive Leverton, explained the terms of the appointment to The Telegraph: “‘There is no written contract. In reality, it’s just a handshake.” In 1997, Leverton & Sons witnessed the repatriation of the body of Diana, Princess of Wales. The company also organized the funeral of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, in 2002, of Princess Margaret in 2002, of Baroness Thatcher in 2013, of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh in 2021.
Long story also for William Perves. They are the oldest independent funeral home in Scotland, born during the reign of Queen Victoria. William Purves was a Borders craftsman and cabinetmaker. In the early 1900s, William Purves’ son Willie, continuing the family business, opened a burial office on Marchmont Road, Edinburgh.