The flames would have started from a dryer
Seven children, aged between 2 and 14, and their mother died in a fire at their home in Charly-sur-Marne, a commune of 2,600 inhabitants in the Aisne, about 80km east of Paris. The father, badly burned, was taken to hospital, but is not in danger. The French media report it, citing the gendarmerie and the fire brigade.
According to the first elements of the investigation, the fire would have started from a dryer on the ground floor of the house, just before one in the morning. The man, awakened by the smoke, went down and tried to call the fire brigade, but he was trapped by the flames and was unable to get back up to warn the rest of the family that he was sleeping. He was saved by a firefighter neighbor, who intervened “individually” before the arrival of his colleagues, reported the prefecture of Aisne.
The fire was extinguished in the early hours of the morning, with approximately 80 firefighters mobilised. In the end, the rescuers extracted the bodies of the eight victims: the children, five girls and two boys, and their mother died of asphyxiation, said Soissons prosecutor Julien Morino-Ros. Four of the children were from their mother’s first marriage, the gendarmerie said.
The last similar tragedy dates back to the night between 15 and 16 December, with the death of six people, including four children, in the fire of a seven-story apartment building located in a popular neighborhood undergoing urban redevelopment in Vaulx- en-Velin. .