Apple unveiled iOS 16, with the biggest lock screen update ever and new smart sharing and communication features that will completely transform the iPhone experience. iOS 16 introduces the iCloud Shared Photo Library to easily share a collection of photos with your family, lots of new features in Messages and Mail to keep in touch with ease, and great improvements to “Live Text” and “Visual Search”.
“IOS16 is a major release that will transform the way we use iPhones,” said Craig Federighi, Apple’s Senior Vice President of Software Engineering. “We reinvented the look and feel of the lock screen with new features to make it more personal and useful, we introduced the iCloud Shared Photo Library for families, we simplified communication with new features in Messages and Mail, and we took advantage of improved on-device intelligence to update Live Text and Visual Search. “
Custom lock screen experience
With iOS 16, the lock screen becomes more personal, beautiful and useful. Thanks to a new multilevel effect, the subjects of your photos will appear around the time creating a sense of depth. The user can also change the appearance of the date and time with expressive font styles and colors.
The widgets on the lock screen are inspired by the complications of Apple Watch, to see information such as upcoming calendar events, weather, battery level, alarms, time zones and progress in the Activity rings at a glance.
- A custom lock screen in iOS 16 that shows a dog and several widgets.
- A custom lock screen in iOS 16 that shows a close-up of a woman and a girl.
- A custom lock screen in iOS 16 that shows the top of a mountain.
The new lock screen gallery includes a wide range of options to draw inspiration from, including Apple collections, such as Pride and Unity, to celebrate special cultural moments. There are also the Weather wallpapers, to see how the weather changes over the course of the day, and Astronomy, with views of the Earth, the moon and the solar system. Furthermore, the user can create the lock screens using the emojis or color combinations he prefers. If you have multiple lock screens, just a tap to switch between them.
Live Activity is a new feature that allows you to stay up to date on ongoing activities such as games and training, car sharing or lunch delivery, right from the lock screen.
Notifications have been redesigned to appear from the bottom of the display, leaving the custom lock screen free.
Finding the right balance with Full Immersion
Full immersion is more powerful and easier to configure, and now connects to the lock screen offering the possibility to associate a particular wallpaper and widgets to a specific Full immersion option, which can be activated simply by scrolling to the corresponding lock screen. Thanks to the Full Immersion Filters, apps such as Calendar, Mail, Messages and Safari will only show the content relevant to the chosen option, helping the user to find the right balance.
- A custom lock screen in iOS 16 showing a menu linked to Full Immersion.
- A custom lock screen in iOS 16 with the Personal Full Immersion option in use.
- A custom lock screen in iOS 16 with the Full Immersion Work option in use.
- A screen of Messages with the application of filters for a Full immersion option.
- A screenshot of the Mail inbox with filters applied for a Full Immersion option.
- ICloud Shared Photo Library – All family photos in one place
- ICloud Shared Photo Library gives families a new way to easily share their memories with a separate iCloud library that up to six people can collaborate with, contribute to, and access. Each user can choose to share all the photos in their personal library, or only those from a particular date or in which specific people appear. A new control in the Camera app also allows you to set up automatic sending of shots to the shared library. In addition, smart tips will invite the user to share photos of other group members. Anyone with access to the Shared Photo Library can add, delete, edit, or bookmark shared videos and shots, which will appear in the “Memories” and “Featured Photos” sections of each, so everyone can relive family moments with more transport.
- New in Messages
- The user can edit or retrieve recently sent messages, retrieve recently deleted ones and mark conversations as unread, so that they can be re-read later.2 In addition, SharePlay will also be available in Messages, to enjoy content in sync. like movies or songs, and share playback controls while chatting in Messages.
- Safari introduces shared panel groups to which friends and family can add a collection of websites and easily see what the rest of the group is looking at. Now you are even more protected when browsing Safari, thanks to passkey: unique digital keys that are easy to use and more secure, which are never stored on web servers and remain on the device, so hackers cannot intercept them with a data breach or have them sent to them by the user with deception. Designed to replace passwords, passkeys use Touch ID or Face ID for biometric authentication. And thanks to iCloud Keychain, they sync across iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple TV with end-to-end encryption. They will also work in apps and on the web, and the user can even log into sites or apps on non-Apple devices using just the iPhone.
- Apple Maps introduces multi-stop itineraries, so the user can plan up to 15 in advance and automatically synchronize them from the Mac to the iPhone when he is about to leave. Maps also includes updates for public transport users, allowing you to easily see the cost of the ticket for a given route, add and top up transport cards in Wallet, and keep track of your balance without ever leaving the app. .
- With In family It’s even easier to set up accounts for boys and girls with the right parental controls right out of the box. It includes suggestions of restrictions for apps, movies, books and music based on various age groups, and offers an easier procedure to set up a new device by automatically applying the same parental controls. When a boy or girl asks to increase Screen Time, parents or guardians can approve or deny the request directly in Messages.
- Dictation offers a new on-device experience that allows you to easily switch between voice and touch control, and vice versa. The user can type with the keyboard, tap in the text field, move the cursor and insert QuickType suggestions while continuing to use Dictation. The feature also offers automatic punctuation insertion and supports emoji dictation.
- Siri now allows you to launch quick commands as soon as you download an app, without any previous configuration. The user can add emojis to messages, choose to send them automatically (skipping the confirmation of the action), and end phone and FaceTime calls without using their hands, simply by saying: “Hey Siri, hang up”.
- The app Home allows you to interact with accessories, organize and view them easily. In addition, improvements to the underlying architecture allow for more efficient and reliable control of home automation devices. With the update of iOS 16, the app will be compatible with Matter, the connectivity standard for the smart home (available in late autumn), which allows a wide range of accessories to work in perfect harmony across multiple platforms to achieve the dream of having a smart home.
- The app Fitness is available to all users and iPhone users, so they can track workouts and reach their fitness goals even if they don’t have an Apple Watch. IPhone app users can set a Daily Movement goal in Fitness and see how many active calories it will take to close the ring. The iPhone’s motion sensors can detect steps, distance and floors climbed, as well as workouts with third-party apps, converting the data into estimated active calories to help you reach your Daily Movement goal. And for an extra boost, the Movement ring can also be shared with friends.
- The app Health introduces the Drugs function, which allows the user to conveniently create and manage a list of their medications, set schedules and reminders, and keep track of the medications, vitamins and supplements they take. In the United States, just frame a medicine label with your iPhone camera to add it to the list, read related information, and be notified of possible critical interactions with other medications being taken.5 In addition, app data Health can be shared with loved ones, and you can easily create a PDF with the medical information available at connected health institutions, right from the app.6
- Apple News introduces the My Sports section, to easily follow your favorite leagues and teams, receive articles from hundreds of the best publications, access scores, schedules and rankings of the main professional and university tournaments, and watch the highlights directly from the News app.
- In Game Centerthe dashboard has been redesigned to show friends and friends’ activities and achievements in one place, so it’s easy to get into the game with or against them.
- L’custom spatial audio offers an even more precise and enveloping listening experience. The user can use the True Depth camera on iPhone to create a custom spatial audio profile for a unique listening experience.
- The new tool for the privacy, called Safety Check, can be useful for those who are victims of domestic violence, because it allows you to quickly remove all access granted to other people. It includes a disaster recovery that helps the user to easily log out of iCloud on all other devices, reset privacy permissions and limit messaging to just the device in use. It also lets you know which people and apps it has granted access to, and manage them.
- Updates to the functions of accessibility include Door Detection, which allows blind or visually impaired people to use the iPhone to walk the last few meters to their destination, and Apple Watch screen mirroring, which allows those with physical or motor disabilities to rely on assistive features such as Control Voice and Switch Control to navigate the Apple Watch interface using the iPhone.7 In addition, Live Transcripts gives deaf and hard of hearing people the ability to follow conversations during a phone call or FaceTime call, when using the videoconferences or social networks, they watch multimedia contents or converse with someone next to them. 8