Municipal elections in Teramo 2023: who are the candidates for mayor and how to vote

Even the city of Abruzzo, on Sunday 14 and Monday 15 May, is called to vote to choose the new mayor and renew the municipal council. Voting takes place on Sunday from 7 to 23 and Monday from 7 to 15, then the ballots. If none of the three candidates manages to obtain an absolute majority of votes in the first round, the ballot will take place on Sunday 28 and Monday 29 May. Here are the running names

Teramo is among the 700 Italian municipalities that are called to vote on Sunday 14 and Monday 15 May 2023 to elect the new mayor and to renew the municipal council. Polling stations in the Abruzzo city will also be open on Sunday from 7 to 23 and on Monday from 7 to 15. Immediately after the polls close, the counting of votes will begin. In Teramo, as in all the municipalities with more than 15,000 inhabitants, for the election of the mayor in the first round it is necessary to obtain at least an absolute majority (50%+1). If none of the three candidates reaches the required quota, Sunday 28 and Monday 29 May there will be a ballot between the two most voted (EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE ELECTIONS).

Who are the three candidates in Teramo

As mentioned, there are three candidates for mayor in Teramo, supported by 15 lists. The lawyer Carlo Antonetti runs for the center-right, supported by the lists of Fratelli d’Italia, Lega, Forza Italia-Noi moderatei, Futuro In and AmoTe, which also includes the candidates of Action. Pd and M5S support the outgoing mayor Gianguido D’Alberto together with the lists Together we can, Innova Teramo, Teramo Vive, Bella Teramo and In Comune per Te. Also in the running is Maria Cristina Marroni, provincial coordinator of Italia Viva supported by the Teramo Sul Serio, Teramo Protagonista and Political Action – Teramo lists.

How to vote in Teramo

Teramo is a municipality with about 51,000 inhabitants, so the general rules governing the elections of all municipalities with more than 15,000 inhabitants are valid for voting. If no candidate obtains an absolute majority in the first round, i.e. 50% plus one of the votes, the second round will take place with a run-off between the two names with the most votes. Separate voting is allowed in municipalities with over 15,000 inhabitants: a voter can decide to vote for a candidate for mayor and together with a list to which he is not connected. The City Council is also renewed on the occasion of the election of the new mayor. The electoral system with which the seats are distributed is proportional: 60% of the available places automatically go to the lists that support the mayor who is elected, the remaining 40% is divided among the other lists, proportionally to the number of votes received by each.