Sunday 14 and Monday 15 May the city called to vote to choose the new mayor and renew the City Council. Voting takes place on Sunday from 7 to 23, while Monday from 7 to 15. In the event that none of the candidates manages to obtain the majority of votes in the first round, the ballot will be held on Sunday 28 and Monday 29 May. Seven names in the running
Sunday 14 and Monday 15 May 2023, Vicenza is called to vote to choose the new mayor and renew the city council. Voting takes place on Sunday from 7 to 23, while Monday from 7 to 15. In the event that none of the candidates manages to obtain the majority of votes in the first round, a runoff will be held between the two who have had more preferences. The ballot will take place on Sunday 28 and Monday 29 May, two weeks after the first vote (EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE ELECTIONS).
Who are the 7 candidates in Vicenza
There are 7 candidates for this electoral round in Vicenza. Among them is also the outgoing mayor Francesco Rucco, supported by the centre-right. In 2018 he won in the first round, surpassing 50% by a few hundred votes. Then there is Giacomo Possamai, Dem group leader in the Region, supported by the Democratic Party, at 4 civics. In addition, two former councilors from the center-right area run, Claudio Cicero (civic list “Impegno a 360°”) and Lucio Zoppello (civic list “Rigenerariamo Vicenza Insieme”). Then there is Edoardo Bortolotto, for the M5S. lizza Annarita Simone, with the civic “La Comune”, which brings together the acronyms of Unione Popolare, Pci and the Southern Party. The seventh candidate, with the civic “Let’s count!”, is a doctor, Stefano Crescioli, unprecedented in politics.
How to vote in Vicenza
Since Vicenza is a municipality with more than 15,000 inhabitants, if no candidate in the first round obtains an absolute majority, then there will be a run-off between the two with the most votes. A voter, always in Municipalities with over 15,000 inhabitants, can decide to vote for a candidate for mayor and together with a list to which he is not connected: this means that separate voting is allowed. The City Council is renewed on the occasion of the election of the new mayor. The electoral system by which seats are distributed is proportional. It works like this: 60% of the available places automatically go to the lists that support the mayor who is elected. The remaining 40% is divided among the other lists in proportion to the number of votes received by each.