Subscribe to our newsletter to stay updated on news from the world
With the situation on the ground constantly evolving, we have decided to collect some information here that allows us to get an idea of the broader context through maps, factsheets and insights.
“US military forces, together with the United Kingdom and with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada and the Netherlands, have successfully conducted attacks against a number of targets in Yemen used by Houthi rebels to jeopardize freedom of navigation in one of the most vital waterways in the world”. This was announced by US President Joe Biden, after the armed group with a Shiite majority – always supported by Iran – ignored the warning not to hinder international trade on the Red Sea with actions in support of the Palestinian cause (GLI LIVE UPDATES). According to official Houthi media, the raid hit an air base near Sana’a, the airports of Taez, Hodeida and Abs and a military camp near Saada. The attacks, a US official told the CNN, were conducted in particular with fighter planes and Tomahawk missiles. “Our country has been subjected to massive aggression by ships, submarines and warplanes”, commented the rebels’ deputy foreign minister, Hussein Al-Ezzi: “America and Great Britain must prepare to pay a heavy price and to bear all the terrible consequences of this blatant aggression.” Russia has requested an urgent meeting of the United Nations Security Council, scheduled for 10am in New York (4pm in Italy). “This aggression indicates the decision to expand the area of conflict outside the Strip. This will have consequences” Hamas representative Sami Abu Zhouri also said, quoted by the media: “The aggression of the USA and the Great Britain against sectors of the Yemeni army, because it has sided with Gaza – he underlined – is a provocation against the Palestinian nation”.
Biden: “Houthis targeted American ships”
“These attacks – Biden said – are the direct response to the unprecedented Houthi attacks against international shipping in the Red Sea, including the use of anti-ship ballistic missiles for the first time in history. These attacks have endangered US personnel, Civilian mariners and our partners, trade and freedom of navigation are threatened. More than 50 nations have been affected by 27 attacks on international commercial shipping. Crews from more than 20 countries have been threatened or taken hostage in acts of piracy. More than 2,000 ships have been forced to divert thousands of miles to avoid the Red Sea, which can cause weeks of delays in product shipping times.And on Jan. 9, the Houthis launched their largest attack to date , directly targeting American ships.”
Biden: “We have issued an unequivocal warning”
“The international community’s response to these reckless attacks – continued the US president – has been united and resolute. Last month, the United States launched Operation Prosperity Guardian, a coalition of over 20 nations committed to defending maritime transport internationally and to deter Houthi attacks in the Red Sea. We also joined more than 40 nations in condemning Houthi threats. Last week, together with 13 allies and partners, we issued an unequivocal warning that Houthi rebels would face consequences if their attacks had not ceased. And yesterday, the United Nations Security Council approved a resolution calling on the Houthis to end attacks against merchant and commercial shipping.” “Today’s defensive action follows this extensive diplomatic campaign and increasing attacks by Houthi rebels against commercial shipping,” Biden concluded. “These targeted attacks are a clear message that the United States and our partners will not tolerate attacks on our personnel.” nor will they allow hostile actors to endanger freedom of navigation in one of the world’s most critical trade routes.”
Sunak: “Attacks against Houthis necessary and proportionate”
Attacks against Houthi targets in Yemen are “necessary and proportionate”, British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak also said. “Despite repeated warnings from the international community, the Houthis have continued to carry out attacks in the Red Sea,” Sunak said. “We therefore took limited, necessary and proportionate self-defense actions, together with the United States, to diminish the Houthis’ military capabilities and protect global shipping.”
Houthis: “There is no justification”
The Houthis “will continue to target ships linked to Israel in the Red Sea”, commented a rebel spokesperson. “We affirm that there is absolutely no justification for this aggression against Yemen, as there was no threat to international shipping in the Red Sea and the Arabian Sea, and the attacks have hit and will continue to hit Israeli ships or those headed to the ports of occupied Palestine,” added spokesman Mohammed Abdulsalam on X.
Iran condemns US and UK attacks in Yemen
Meanwhile, the spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry, Nasser Kanani, “strongly condemned the attacks by the USA and Great Britain against various cities in Yemen, considering them an arbitrary action, a clear violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Yemen and a violation of international law and regulations.” As Tehran’s Foreign Ministry reports on X, Kanani said that “the only result of the attacks will be to create instability in the region”. Linking the raids to US support for Israel, the official called on the international community to “stop the war from spreading.”
Russia accuses US and UK: “Destructive escalation”
According to Russia’s diplomatic spokeswoman, Maria Zakharova, “the US attacks in Yemen are yet another example of the Anglo-Saxons’ distortion of UN Security Council resolutions and total disregard for international law in the name of escalation of situation in the region to achieve their destructive goals.”
Hezbollah: “Attacks confirm complicity with Israel”
Hezbollah also condemned “the serious Anglo-American aggression against the sovereignty of Yemen and against its people: American aggression confirms once again that America is the full partner in the tragedies and massacres committed by the Zionist enemy in Gaza and the region and is working to support him and provide him with the means to fuel his machine of death and destruction against all those who stand alongside the oppressed Palestinian people throughout the region.”
Riyadh: “Avoid escalation”
Saudi Arabia expressed “great concern” in a Foreign Ministry statement, urging avoidance of escalation. “The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia follows with great concern the military operations taking place in the Red Sea region and the air strikes on a series of sites in the Republic of Yemen”, it reads, and calls for “self-control and to avoid a ‘escalation”.